Why in news?
An initiative ‘UdChalo’ is all set to take off at the Army’s Paraplegic Rehabilitation Centre (PRC) in Punjab’s Mohali.
- ‘UdChalo’ is a travel portal that caters for the personal travel of the military and paramilitary forces personnel by aggregating defence fares and getting exclusive discounts.
- It is a unique inititiative to make wounded soldiers, who are now confined to wheelchairs, self-reliant.
- The PRC has joined hands with UdChalo with an aim to empower the disabled military veterans.
- The counter would provide a one-stop solution to all military personnel planning to undertake air journey, besides providing employment opportunity to ex-servicemen and dependents.
- The extension counter would benefit approximately 5,000 military personnel and their dependents residing in the general area of Cantonment.
- UdChalo was founded by a group of alumni of the Army Institute of Technology and mostly employs ex-servicemen and veer naris at their booking counters across the country.
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
Why in news?
India slammed the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation after it announced a Special Envoy for Jammu and Kashmir.
About the news
- 14th Islamic Summit of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Member States held at Makkah, Saudi Arabia on 31 May 2019.
- The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is the second largest inter-governmental organization after the United Nations with a membership of 57 states spread over four continents.
- The Organization is the collective voice of the Muslim world that works to "protect the interests of the Muslim world".
- It was established by 24 member states in 1969.
- Head Quarter is in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- Islamic Summits are organized by OIC.
- It endeavors to safeguard and protect the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony among various people of the world.
- The OIC has permanent delegations to the United Nations and the European
- The official languages of the OIC are Arabic, English, and French.
- There are also specialized organs under the banner of the OIC including the Islamic Development Bank and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- The OIC has 57 members, 56 of which are also member states of the United Nations, the exception being Palestine.
- The members, though with large Muslim populations, are not necessarily Muslim majority countries.
- A few countries with significant Muslim populations, such as Russia and Thailand, sit as Observer States, while others, such as India and Ethiopia, are not members.
- The OIC Observer states, or states with large Muslim populations at present are Bosnia and Herzegovina, Central African Republic (CAR), Thailand, Russia and ‘Northern Cyprus’.
Why in news?
'Quad' nations bat for ASEAN-led architecture mechanism for Indo-Pacific region.
- QUAD is a regional coalition (Quadrilateral Formation) of four major democracies ie. USA, India, Japan and Australia.
- It is based on their converging vision and values for promotion of peace, stability and prosperity in an increasingly inter-connected region that they share with each other and with other partners.
- The quadrilateral is seen to counter China’s aggressive maritime expansion under its Belt and Road initiative.
- Promote free, open, prosperous and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- Addressing common challenges of terrorism and proliferation linkages impacting the region.
- Enhance connectivity.
- Promote free trade and defence cooperation across a stretch of ocean from the South China Sea, the Indian Ocean and all the way to Africa.
Science and Technology
Monkey pox virus
Why in news?
Recently, the Ministry of Health in Singapore confirmed that a Nigerian who had arrived in the city on April 28 had the rare disease, monkeypox.
About the virus
- Monkeypox is a rare viral zoonotic disease that occurs primarily in remote parts of central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests.
- It is caused by the monkeypox virus (MPXV) and belongs to the Orthopoxvirus family.
- The disease is self-limiting, with symptoms usually resolving spontaneously within 14-21 days.
- It is an orthopoxvirus that causes a viral disease with symptoms in humans similar, but milder, to those seen in smallpox patients.
- Smallpox was declared eradicated in 1980, whereas human monkey pox is endemic in villages of Central and West Africa.
- The occurrence of cases is often found close to tropical rainforests where there is frequent contact with infected animals.
- The monkeypox virus is mostly transmitted to people from various wild animals such as rodents and primates.
- It has limited secondary spread through human-to-human transmission.
- There is no specific treatment or vaccine available.
- The WHO notes that prior smallpox vaccination is highly effective in preventing monkeypox.
Why in news?
An Aquarium in the US announced that a “virgin” anaconda had given birth during the winter through parthenogenesis.
- Parthenogenesis is a reproductive strategy that involves development of a female (rarely a male) gamete (sex cell) without fertililisation.
- It occurs commonly among lower plants and invertebrate animals (particularly rotifers, aphids, ants, wasps and bees) and rarely among higher vertebrates.
- A gamete is the egg in females and the sperm in males.
- In animals, parthenogenesis means development of an embryo from an unfertilised egg cell.
- The term parthenogenesis is an amalgam of the Greek words parthenos meaning virgin and genesis meaning origin.
- It is one of the known means of asexual reproduction.
- Grafting (of plants) is also a type of asexual reproduction.
Place in news
Why in news?
Mount Etna erupted spewing lava and volcanic ash into the sky.
- Mount Etna is an active stratovolcano on the east coast of Sicily, Italy.
- It lies above the convergent plate margin between the African Plate and the Eurasian Plate.
- It is the highest active volcano in Europe outside the Caucasus.
- It is the tallest active volcano in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
MAP AIDED PROGRAM
National Parks of Himachal Pradesh
Great Himalayan National Park
Pin Valley National Park
Inderkilla National Park
Khirganga National Park
Simbalbara National Park
Preous Year Questions Revision Series (Pqrs)
- With reference to ‘Global Climate Change Alliance’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It is an initiative of the European Union.
- It provides technical and financial support to targeted developing countries to integrate climate change into their development policies and budgets.
- It is coordinated by World Resources Institute (WRI) and World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only (b) 3 only (c) 2 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3