Global Economic Prospect Report
Why in news?
India joblessness data was not factored into the World Bank Group’s June 2019 Global Economic Prospects (GEP) report.
About the news
- India’s growth forecasts are projected to be 7.5% per annum in 2019, 2020 and 2021 in the World Bank’s June 2019 Global Economic Prospects: Heightened Tensions, Subdued Investment reports..
About the report
- Global Economic Prospects is a World Bank Group flagship report that examines global economic developments and prospects.
- It gives special focus on emerging market and developing economies.
- It is issued twice a year, in January and June.
- The January edition includes in-depth analyses of topical policy challenges while the June edition contains shorter analytical pieces.
SDG Gender Index
Why in news?
India ranked 95th out of a total 129 countries in the first-ever SDG Gender Index.
About the news
- India’s score of 56.2 means that it is among 43 nations under ‘very poor’ category.
- Denmark topped the index.
About the index
- It measures strides made in achieving gender commitments against internationally set targets.
- The index has been developed by Equal Measures 2030, which is a partnership among global and regional organisations from the civil society and the development and private sectors.
- It includes The African Women’s Development and Communication Network, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, International Women’s Health Coalition and Plan International.
More about the index
- The SDG Gender Index includes 51 indicators across 14 of the 17 official Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- The indicators include those that are gender specific, as well as those that are not but have an effect on girls and women.
- The overall index scores are based on a scale of 0–100.
- A score of 100 indicates the achievement of gender equality in relation to the underlying indicators.
- A score of 50 would indicate that a country is about halfway to meeting its goal.
Jan Shikshan Sansthans (JSS)
Why in news?
Fee waived off for SC/ST candidates joining vocational training under Jan Shikshan Sansthans.
- Jan Shikshan Sansthans (JSS) are established to impart skill training and introducing avenues of entrepreneurship among the socio-economically backward and educationally disadvantaged groups such as neo-literates, semi-literates, SCs, STs, women and girls, slum dwellers, migrant workers.
- It will provide vocational training by identifying skills as would have a market in the region of their establishment.
- JSSs can play an important role in bridging information asymmetry between skill training and market opportunities.
- It gives an impetus to the creation of a workforce equipped in technology-driven skills, including in areas like health & wellness, tourism, e-commerce, retail and trade.
- Formerly under the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Jan Shikshan Sansthan has been transferred to the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship in 2018.
- It is to align the JSSs to the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) and hence the convergence of all skilling activities under the aegis of one ministry.
- Alignment of JSS course and curriculum to National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) to standardize training
- Decentralization of powers for JSSs giving more accountability and independence to district administration
- Evidence based assessment system
- Easy Online certification
- Linking JSS to PFMS (Public Finance Management system) maintaining transparency and accountability of the ecosystem
- Creating livelihood linkages
- Training of Trainers to develop the capacity through NSTIs (National Skills Training Institutes)
Swachh Survekshan 2020
Why in news?
Swachh Survekshan League 2020 to be integrated with Swachh Survekshan 2020.
About the news
- Swachh Survekshan League 2020 will be a quarterly cleanliness assessment of cities and towns in India.
- The performance of cities in SS League 2020 will be crucial to their ranking in Swachh Survekshan 2020 due to the 25% weightage of the quarterly assessments to be included in the annual survey in January 2020.
- Swachh Survekshan 2020 will be the 5th edition of the annual cleanliness survey of urban India to be conducted between January - February 2020 by MoHUA under the aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission- Urban (SBM-U).
About Swachh Survekshan
- It was started with the objective of inculcating a spirit of healthy competition among cities in their race towards becoming India’s cleanest cities.
- Every year, cities and towns across India are awarded with the title of ‘Swachh Cities’ on the basis of their cleanliness and sanitation drive as a part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Who conducts the survey?
- It will be conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U).
- MoHUA conducted its first survey ‘Swachh Survekshan-2016’ survey for ranking 73 cities (Urban Local Bodies), in January 2016, under the ambit of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban).
- In order to expand the coverage of cities, the Ministry conducted its second survey ‘Swachh Survekshan-2017’ in January-February 2017, to rank 434 cities.
- ‘Swachh Survekshan 2018’ saw a massive increase in both scale of survey and intensity of participation, with 4,203 cities covered in last year’s survey, became the largest ever Pan India Sanitation Survey in the world, impacting around 40 crore people.
- The 4th edition, Swachh Survekshan 2019 covered 4237 cities in a record time of 28 days and was a fully digitized and paperless survey.
Sources of data
- Data by Municipal body and interactions with officials – 45% Weightage
- Citizen Feedback- 30%
- Direct Observation by the survey agency – 25%
Areas of evaluation (in the order of decreasing weightage)
- Door to door Collection, Sweeping, Collection & Transportation
- Processing and Disposal Public & Community Toilet Provision
- Individual Toilet
- Strategy for Open Defecation Free town (ODF) and Integrated Solid Waste Management (SWM)
- Information, Education and Behavior Change Communication (IEBC)
- If the city has a population of more than one lakh, ranking will be done on the national level and if the population of your city is less than one lakh than it will be ranked on regional level.
Current Affair Capsules
- It is a website named Retired Officers Digital Records Archive (RODRA).
- The aim was to establish an interface between the custodian of officers’ Records and veteran officers/Next of Kin (NOK) and to create a digital data repository in order to address documentation/pension related grievances and update on relevant policies.
MAP AIDED PROGRAM
National Parks of Haryana
- Sultanpur National Park
- Kalesar National park
Previous Year Questions Revision Series (Pqrs)
- Mediterranean Sea is a border of which of the following countries?
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only (b) 2 and 3 only (c) 3 and 4 only (d) 1, 3 and 4 only