Why in news?
As reported by Invest India, it is currently working with 1003 companies, with an indicated investment worth USD 137 Billion and indicated employment of 1,981,147 extending end-to-end facilitation support.
What is it?
- Invest India is the official investment promotion and facilitation agency of the Government of India, mandated to facilitate investments into India under Make in India.
- It will act as the first reference point for any investor interested in India.
- It will facilitate in setting up business in the country, by making available sector-wise consultants and coordinating with the state governments.
- Invest India was formed under Section 25 of the Companies Act 1956 for promotion of foreign investment with 49% equity of the then Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry and 51% shareholding by FICCI.
- It was formed in 2009.
- The current shareholding pattern of Invest India, a public-private partnership company is
- 51 % of Industry Associations (i.e. 17% each of FICCI, CII & NASSCOM)
- Remaining 49% of Central and 19 State Governments.
Why in news?
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced officially the introduction of UNNATI at Bangalore.
About the news
- The second batch of UNNATI to be conducted during October 15 to December 15, 2019 in coordination with UNOOSA at Bengaluru, India.
- ISRO has been actively associated with United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) as member of COPUOS (Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space) since its inception.
- As part of its UNISPACE (United Nations Conference on the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of Outer Space) initiative, UNOOSA is working on a system of ‘UN led international constellation of satellites’ for disaster risk reduction, GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite Systems), telecommunication and other services for benefit of its member countries across the world.
- UNOOSA is offering countries a simplified and enhanced access to satellite technologies as part of the UNISPACE initiative.
- It is a capacity building programme on Nanosatellite development.
- UNNATI stands for Unispace Nano satellite Assembly & Training programme of ISRO.
- UNNATI is an initiative by ISRO to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first United Nations conference on the exploration and peaceful uses of outer space (UNISPACE-50 in India held on June 2018.
- The programme provides opportunities to the participating developing countries to strengthen in assembling, integrating and testing of Nano satellite.
- UNNATI programme is planned to be conducted for 3 years by U.R. Rao Satellite Centre of ISRO in 3 batches and will target to benefit officials of 45 countries.
- Since 1968, the United Nations has held three conferences on the exploration and peaceful uses of outer space.
- UNISPACE I, Vienna, 1968
- UNISPACE II, Vienna, 1982
- UNISPACE III, Vienna, 1999
- UNISPACE+50 will mark the fiftieth anniversary of the first UNISPACE conference and take stock of the contributions to global space governance of the three UNISPACE conferences.
Related Information (PLUS)
About YUVIKA 2019
- It is a special programme for School Children called “Young Scientist Programme” from this year.
- The Program is primarily aimed at imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications to the younger ones with the intent of arousing their interest in the emerging areas of Space activities.
- ISRO has chalked out this programme to “Catch them young”.
- The residential training programme will be of around two week’s duration.
- Those who have finished 8th standard and currently studying in 9th standard will be eligible for the programme.
- The selection is based on the academic performance and extracurricular activities.
Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC)
Why in news?
Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC) has raised Rs 2,120 crore via issuance of 15 years bonds through book building process.
- Indian Railway Finance Corporation (IRFC) is the dedicated financing arm of the Indian Railways for mobilizing funds from domestic as well as overseas Capital Markets.
- The primary objective of IRFC is to meet the predominant portion of ‘Extra Budgetary Resources’ (EBR) requirement of the Indian Railways through market borrowings at the most competitive rates and terms.
- The Company’s principal business therefore is to borrow funds from the financial markets to finance the acquisition / creation of assets which are then leased out to the Indian Railways.
- It was set up on 12th December, 1986.
- IRFC is a Schedule ‘A’ Public Sector Enterprise under the administrative control of the Ministry of Railways, Govt. of India.
- It is also registered as Systemically Important Non–Deposit taking Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC – ND-SI) and Infrastructure Finance Company (NBFC- IFC) with Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP)
Why in news?
USFDA raps Aurobindo for ‘repeated CGMP failures’.
What are CGMPs?
- CGMP refers to the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulations enforced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- CGMPs provide for systems that assure proper design, monitoring, and control of manufacturing processes and facilities.
- Adherence to the CGMP regulations assures the identity, strength, quality, and purity of drug products by requiring that manufacturers of medications adequately control manufacturing operations.
- This includes establishing strong quality management systems, obtaining appropriate quality raw materials, establishing robust operating procedures, detecting and investigating product quality deviations, and maintaining reliable testing laboratories.
- This assures that drug products meet their quality standards.
- It is important to note that CGMPs are minimum requirements.
- Many pharmaceutical manufacturers are already implementing comprehensive, modern quality systems and risk management approaches that exceed these minimum standards.
Why in news?
India pledges to contribute USD 5 million in 2019 to UN Palestine refugee agency.
- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) is a relief and human development agency.
- It supports more than 5 million registered Palestinian refugees, and their patrilineal descendants, who fled or were expelled from their homes during the 1948 Palestine war as well as those who fled or were expelled during and following the 1967 Six Day war.
- It was created in December 1949.
- Originally intended to provide jobs on public works projects and direct relief, today UNRWA provides education, health care, and social services to the population it supports.
- Aid is provided in five areas of operation: Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
- Aid for Palestinian refugees outside these five areas is provided by UNHCR.
- UNRWA is the only UN agency dedicated to helping refugees from a specific region or conflict and is separate from UNHCR.
- Formed in 1950, UNHCR is the main UN refugee agency, which is responsible for aiding other refugees all over the world.
- Unlike UNRWA, UNHCR has a specific mandate to aid its refugees to eliminate their refugee status by local integration in current country, resettlement in a third country or repatriation when possible.
- UNRWA allows refugee status to be inherited by some descendants.
National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA)
Why in news?
The U.S. Senate has passed the National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA) for the fiscal year 2020 that brings India at par with America’s NATO allies and countries like Israel and South Korea for increasing defence cooperation.
About the news
- The amendment provides for increased US-India defence cooperation in the Indian Ocean in the areas of humanitarian assistance, counterterrorism, counter-piracy and maritime security.
- The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) is the name for each of a series of United States federal laws specifying the annual budget and expenditures of the U.S. Department of Defense.
- The first NDAA was passed in 1961.
- The U.S. Congress oversees the defense budget primarily through two yearly bills
- The National Defense Authorization Act
- Defense appropriations bills
- The authorization bill determines the agencies responsible for defense, establishes funding levels, and sets the policies under which money will be spent.
Map Aided Programme
RAMSAR SITES OF ASSAM
- Deepor Beel
Previous Year Questions Revision Series (Pqrs)
- Tides occur in the oceans and seas due to which among the following?
- Gravitational force of the Sun
- Gravitational force of the Moon
- Centrifugal force of the Earth
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
- 1 only (b)2 and 3 only (c)1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3