The Solar Charkha Mission
Why in news?
Subsidy to Artisans under Solar Charkha Mission.
The Solar Charkha Mission:
- The Solar Charkha Mission is an initiative launched by Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME).
- The scheme envisages setting up of Solar Charkha Clusters across the country.
- The scheme is envisaged to generate direct employment nearly to one lakh persons in the approved clusters.
- The mission will generate employment in rural areas and contribute to the green economy.
- Implemented by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
The objectives of the Scheme are as follows:
- To ensure inclusive growth by generation of employment, especially for women and youth, and sustainable development through solar charkha clusters in rural areas.
- To boost rural economy and help in arresting migration from rural to urban areas.
- To leverage low-cost, innovative technologies and processes for sustenance.
Unified Payments Interface (UPI)
Why in news?
UPI users affected as lender goes offline.
Unified Payments Interface (UPI):
- Launched in 2016, it is a payment system that allows money transfer between any two bank accounts by
- using a smart phone.
- UPI is standardized across banks - it will help you to pay directly from your bank account to different merchants without the hassle of typing your net-banking password, credit card details or IFSC code.
- UPI can be used as a digital payment option along with cards, net-banking and wallets.
- It allows both payment and receipt of money.
- UPI was developed by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) under the guidelines of RBI.
- It is based on the Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) platform.
Funds Transfer limit and Availability:
- Transaction limitthrough UPI - 1 lakh / transaction.
- Being a digital payment system it is available 24x7 and across public holidays.
What is a Virtual Payment Address (VPA)?
- For using UPI, users need to create a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) of their choice and link it to any bank account.
- The VPA acts as their financial address and users need not remember beneficiary account number, IFSC codes or net banking user id/password for sending or receiving money.
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
- It is an initiative of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) under the provisions of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
Why in news?
After seven months, the use of social media was allowed in Jammu and Kashmir with an order laying down the latest rules for the use of Internet in the Union Territory.
More about the news
- Among various conditions, the order, issued by the Principal Secretary says Internet connectivity will be made available “with mac-binding”.
- Internet speed in Jammu and Kashmir is still restricted to 2G. This means very slow services.
- Every device has a Media Access Control (MAC) address, a hardware identification number that is unique to it.
- While accessing the Internet, every device is assigned an IP address.
- Mac-binding essentially means binding together the MAC and IP addresses, so that all requests from that IP address are served only by the computer having that particular MAC address.
- It means that one can only open websites that have been allowed by the administration using a system which has its MAC and IP address binded, rests will be dropped.
- In effect, it means that if the IP address or the MAC addresses changes, the device can no longer access the Internet.
- Also, monitoring authorities can trace the specific system from which a particular online activity was carried
Fuel Cell Technology for Disaster Management
Why in news?
Scientists at International Advanced Research for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI), Hyderabad, an autonomous R&D Centre of Department of Science and Technology (DST) have developed Polymer Electrolyte Membrane fuel cells (PEMFC).
- ARCI at its Centre for Fuel Cell Technology, Chennai has developed in-house PEMFC systems in the power range of 1 to 20 kilowatt (kW) and demonstrated the same in stationary (1-20 kW) and transport applications (1,3,5 kW).
- The latest concept in disaster management all over the World is about conversion of Control Rooms to Emergency Operation Centres (EOC).
- EOCs respond immediately during an emergency situation with State-of-the-Art communication systems. This helps in providing immediate support during the Golden Hour of the disaster.
- Emergency Operation Centres (EOC) backed with 10 kW systems along with fuel cell stack, air moving sub systems, power control devices and control and monitoring system is being planned as a natural disaster management measure.
- Fuel cell systems in EOCs offer a potential benefit in terms of providing sustainable electricity.
Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC)
- Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC) converts the chemical energy stored in hydrogen fuel directly and efficiently to electrical energy with water as the only by-product.
- It has the potential to reduce our energy use, pollutant emissions, and dependence on fossil fuels.
- It has an advantage of operational capability at low-temperatures with applications in decentralised power generation systems.
- Fuel cell systems offer a potential benefit in terms of providing sustainable electricity using hydrogen gas without the need of grid power as required by conventional battery backup systems.
Why in news?
The International Conference on Nano Science and Nano Technology (ICONSAT) under the aegis of Nano Mission, Department of Science and Technology (DST), started at Biswa Bangla Conventional Centre, Kolkata.
Mission on Nano Science and Technology (Nano Mission)
- It was launched in 2007 by government of India as a part of Nano Science and Technology Initiative (NSTI).
- The Department of Science and Technology is the nodal agency for implementing the Nano Mission.
- The Mission's programmes targets all scientists, institutions and industry in the country.
- It also strengthens activities in Nano science and technology by promoting basic research, human resource development, research infrastructure development, international collaborations etc.
- Recognizing the success of first phase, government had continued the Nano Mission in its Phase-II during the 12th Plan period.
- As a result of the efforts led by the Nano Mission, today, India is amongst the top five nations in the world in terms of scientific publications in Nano science and technology (moved from 4th to the 3rd position).
Current Affairs Capsules
India Pharma & India Medical Device 2020 Conference
- It is being organized by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, in association with Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry- FICCI at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat.
- Theme: “India Pharma: Meeting Challenges of Affordable and Quality Healthcare and India Medical Device: Promoting Affordable responsible and Quality Medical Device for Universal Health Care.
- This year in the fifth edition, the event is being organised for the first time in the State of Gujarat, which is also the partner state for this event.
Workshed Scheme for Khadi Artisans
- Under the scheme financial assistance is provided to Khadi Institutions for construction of Work sheds to Khadi artisans through Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- The Scheme was introduced in 2008-09 and envisages providing sufficient space and congenial environment to artisans for smooth and fatigue free working leading to enhanced production and increased earning. The scheme is demand driven.
Scheme for Pension and Medical Aid to Artistes
- It is being implemented by the Union Ministry of Culture.
- It aims to improve financial and socio-economic status of the old aged artistes and scholars including various Folk Artists who have contributed significantly in their specialized fields of arts, letters etc.
- An amount of maximum Rs. 4000/- per month is being given to each beneficiary, out of which minimum 500/- financial assistance from State/UT Govt. is included.