LUCID MAINS CURRENT AFFAIRS 2018
- THE MOTOR VEHICLE (AMENDMENT) BILL 2017
WHY TO FOCUS?
- The bill is already passed by Lok Sabha and now is in Rajya Sabha.
- According to the “Road Accident in India Report” by ministry of Road and Highways, India have 1.5 Lakh death from road accident.
# is one of the highest in the world.
- To adhere with Brazilian declaration of road safety by WHO.
# India is a signatory to Brazilian declaration.
# India has to reduce mortality due to accident by 50 ℅ by 2020.
- Road safety is a key milestone within new sustainable development goals target 3.6.
STATUS OF SUBJECT MOTOR VEHICLE IN THE 7TH SCHEDULE
- In the concurrent list under entry 35.
- Parliament has the power to legislate and state have only such powers as conferred by the act.
- Still, will be more practically feasible to leave regional matters to states to sort out among themselves rather than an intervention by center.
- Aadhaar made mandatory.
- License taking process made online.
# prevent interference by middle man hence low chance for corruption.
# promote digital India
- Guardian / owner of the vehicle, responsible in case of traffic violation by juvenile.
# unless proved that the offence was committed without their knowledge or they tried to prevent it.
# vehicle registration will be canceled.
# child be tried under juvenile justice act .
- Provision for protection of good Samaritans.
# protection from civil and criminal liability.
# optional to disclose their identity.
- High penalties for traffic violations. Offences include –
# Drunk driving
# Driving without license
# Rash driving
# over speed
# not wearing seat belt
# talking over mobile phone while driving
- Motor vehicle accident fund for compulsory insurance.
# for certain types of accidents only.
- Suitable vehicle for specially abled people.
# mandatory to alter the vehicle to make it fit for specially abled people.
# a move of inclusive development protecting weaker section of the society.
- Builders accountable for poor quality of infrastructure.
# contractors, consultants and civic agencies will be responsible.
# include poor maintenance also.
# infrastructure quality in turn promote export and trade and boost economic growth.
- Time limit for renewal of driving license increased (from one month to 1year).
- Vehicle recall policy.
# recall vehicle which is of substandard causing harm to environment or people.
# environment friendly move in compliance with Paris Agreement on Climate Change
- Specific definition for taxi aggregators.
# mandatory for taxi aggregators to get a license.
- Brings more transparency in issuing license.
# as license, registration certificate can be obtained through online only.
- Increasing penalties strengthen road safety measures.
- Motor vehicle accident fund – provides compulsory insurance.
- Vehicle recall policy.
# environment friendly and people friendly .
# ensure quality of vehicle.
- Clear definition for taxi aggregators.
# definition – “ a digital intermediary or market place for a passenger to connect with driver for the purpose of transportation “ .
# now have to be compliant with Information Technology Act 2000
- Provision to harness technology.
# online process for registration and issuing license .
# including CCTV monitoring of roads.
- Bill encroaches upon the power of state government.
# in case of issuing permit (section 74) and formulating transport scheme (section 88A).
- Section 88 A empowers center to make schemes for state.
# empowers the central government to make scheme for national, multimodal and interstate transportation of goods and passengers.
# at present interstate transportation of goods and passengers is an exclusive domain of states.
# so power of states will be diluted.
- Section 74 alters power of RTA (road transport authority) in case of contract carriage permit.
# amendment provides that the RTA may waive any statutory condition in the interest of last mile connectivity as specified by center.
# but last mile connectivity is a regional issue, again center encroaching to the states power.
- Insertion of section 66 A empowers center to develop National Transportation Policy.
# National Transport Policy is to establish a framework for grant of transport permit.
# section directs center to consult states before making policy.
# thus eroding the power of states to decide on permit.
# earlier it was under exclusive domain of states.
- Regulation of cab aggregator under center’s guideline.
# though cab aggregator will be regulated ,will be strictly under center’s guideline
- Minimum educational qualifications has been removed for transport license.
# currently class 8 is the minimum standard.
# have no idea about the reason for such a move.
- Proposed Road Safety Board has only advisory power.
# have no authority and autonomy.
# not addressing the concern about the road engineering, vehicle design etc.
- Passes the power of registration of vehicle from Regional Transport office to private dealers.
# raise the scope for corruption.
# criticism of helping corporates as registration is now in the hands of dealers.
- Creation of new fund, with solatium fund already existing to provide compensation.
# newly created fund is for hit and run case but we already have a solarium fund for this.
- Governments right to recall the vehicle may demotivate the vehicle manufacturers to invest in India.
# will be a blow to make in India affecting economic growth.
# affect employment generation.
# affect the businesses friendly country image.
- In section 66 A and 88 A, which empowers the center to form a national transportation policy and schemes, amend the word “consultation” as “concurrence”.
- Leave the regional matters to states to sort out among themselves, as they will be aware of their needs and “one size fits for all” approach will not do good here.
- Address other matters to prevent accidents like traffic congestion, growing number of vehicles beyond capacity of road etc.
- Traffic accidents caused due to high work load are increasing now. This must be addressed by providing enough sleeping hours for the drivers.
- Incorporate road safety and traffic rules in school syllabus.
# so that, can inculcate this into the life style of people from the young age itself.